GitHub pull requests made easy

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Feb 22 08:51:13 PST 2012

The overhead of creating pull requests was getting to me, so I've
written a little script to make it easier:

https://gist.github.com/1885859

This script does three things:

1) Pushes the current branch to your GitHub fork
2) Sets the default remote for the branch, so that you can just
type "git push" to update your pull request
3) Opens a web browser on the "Create pull request" form, so that
you don't have to go to GitHub, navigate to your fork, select the
new branch, and click the "Pull Request" button.

It will use your GitHub username (if you've set github.user) to
find the remote name of your fork. Otherwise, just specify the
name of the remote corresponding to your fork as the first
parameter.

If you create a git alias, you can type "git pullrequest" to run
it. To do that, add the line "pullrequest =
!/path/to/git-pullrequest.sh $*" to the [alias] section of your
~/.gitconfig.

The script is not specific to D; it will work for any GitHub fork.

Happy contributing!