[RFC]Proposal for better garbage collection

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Feb 22 16:56:13 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 07:48:38PM -0500, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 16:45:29 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > But still, some benchmarks do appear to be showing signs of a large
> > performance hit on the GC when there happens to be many integers that
> > look like valid pointers.
>
> As I understand it, this is mitigated considerably on 64-bit platforms
> due to the large pointer size.
[...]

True. You'd have to deliberately want to break the GC in order for
coincidental integer values to cause a significant problem.

But this problem could be a major issue if D was to become a significant
player on handhelds, which, if I understand correctly, are still largely
running 32-bit CPUs.

It's also a major problem on 16-bit platforms, but the only use of those
that I can conceive of are toy applications so it's probably not worth
the consideration. :)

That's not a bug; that's a feature!