Inheritance of purity

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:59:47 PST 2012

On 17/02/2012 02:49, Walter Bright wrote:
> Given:
>
> class A { void foo() { } }
> class B : A { override pure void foo() { } }
>
> This works great, because B.foo is covariant with A.foo, meaning it can
> "tighten", or place more restrictions, on foo. But:
>
> class A { pure void foo() { } }
> class B : A { override void foo() { } }
>
> fails, because B.foo tries to loosen the requirements, and so is not
> covariant.
>
> Where this gets annoying is when the qualifiers on the base class
> function have to be repeated on all its overrides. I ran headlong into
> this when experimenting with making the member functions of class Object
> pure.
>
> So it occurred to me that an overriding function could *inherit* the
> qualifiers from the overridden function. The qualifiers of the
> overriding function would be the "tightest" of its explicit qualifiers
> and its overridden function qualifiers. It turns out that most functions
> are naturally pure, so this greatly eases things and eliminates annoying
> typing.
>
> I want do to this for @safe, pure, nothrow, and even const.
>
> I think it is semantically sound, as well. The overriding function body
> will be semantically checked against this tightest set of qualifiers.
>
> What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea.
I would even add to this that it might be useful to have similar syntax
that would allow to define an override method without having to specify
the return type nor the parameters of the overridden method. Sometimes
in class hierarchies there is a lot of redundancy when overriding
methods and it could be a nice small feature to reduce that (especially
for methods with lots of parameters).

class Foo {
	int num;

	override opEquals {