Questions about windows support

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 13:34:24 PST 2012

On Thursday, 23 February 2012 at 21:17:35 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Taking the idea of an in-terminal video player further, what
> about a general escape sequence for "application-specific
> output"?

seriously, once you take the in-terminal stuff too far, you
have a beast of a program that does everything; you end up
with something like a web browser or nested X server, and
you've lose the original beauty of the terminal.

This is the path I started on, and ended up with what I called
the D Windowing System - which is still on my todo list, but
has been for a long time and will surely be for a long time
more.

But, I started with a terminal that can optionally output
images. Then wanted improved character display and figured
if it does images, it can be a bitmap drawable.

Then wanted multiple channels... and at this point, you have
a poor man's X.

Realizing this, I went full into it and shifted gears to a higher
level X kind of thing, where you make an app based on widgets on
a grid, which would work in text mode or graphical mode. But, I
didn't get too far before work took over my time.

But, on a terminal, I just don't think images are a fit there.
Might as well just make something like a gui image viewer app
and keep a more traditional terminal.

Though, I'd prefer to be more like vga text mode than VT100
in terms of capabilities.