Conclusions of the exception discussion

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Feb 25 01:22:14 PST 2012

On Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:11:56 Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Am Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:53:47 -0800
>
> schrieb Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>:
> > There were other ideas that were discussed in the thread, but I think
> > that these are the ones that we have at least some consensus on.
> > However, given the mess that thread is, we really should make it
> > clear in a separate thread (this thread) that we have a consensus
> > that these are indeed the things that we want to pursue to improve
> > exceptions in D and Phobos. Thoughts? Opinions?
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> What about that lisp exception/recovery idea? That was the most
> interesting idea imho.

There's no consensus whatsoever on using that.  It's just a new, interesting
idea at this point, and it's incredibly experimental. Some folks are playing
around with it right now, but until they've ironed it out, there's not much
point in discussing whether we should add it to Phobos IMHO. It's also
something that we can add on top of the current exception scheme at a later
date, so we don't have to do anything with it now. We'll have to give it more
bake time before we make any decisions about it. And I believe that the main
proponents of it agree with that assessment.

- Jonathan M Davis