John Carmack applauds D's pure attribute

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Feb 25 14:08:43 PST 2012

Am 25.02.2012 21:26, schrieb Peter Alexander:
> On Saturday, 25 February 2012 at 20:13:42 UTC, so wrote:
>> On Saturday, 25 February 2012 at 18:47:12 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting. I wish he'd elaborate on why it's not an option for his
>>> daily
>>> work.
>>
>> Not the design but the implementation, memory management would be the
>> first.
>
> Memory management is not a problem. You can manage memory just as easily
> in D as you can in C or C++. Just don't use global new, which they'll
> already be doing.

I couldn't agree more.

The GC issue comes around often, but I personally think that the main
issue is that the GC needs to be optimized, not that manual memory
management is required.

Most standard compiler malloc()/free() implementations are actually
slower than most advanced GC algorithms.

--
Paulo