Curl on Windows

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Sun Feb 26 17:15:39 PST 2012

The newly accepted curl library sadly didn't get included in the
2.058 release as it wasn't added to the Windows makefile.

I created a pull request to resolve this [1] but it had to be
reverted because it broke the auto tester.

The tester broke because of the missing curl.lib library.  I've
suggested curl.lib be included with phobos but Brad says it can't
due to licensing problems.  I couldn't find a discussion on the
newsgroup about what problems there are.

Curl is licensed under MIT [2]. The optional SSL support for curl
uses OpenSSL which is dual licensed under both Apache License 1.0
and SSLeay License, a 4-clause BSD License derivative [3].

I'm no expert on licensing issues but the only issues I can see
are, first, the copyright notice of the Curl and OpenSSL licenses
must be displayed whether it is distributed in binary or source
code form (easily added as a text file and, for good measure, in
a licensing page in the installer).  And second, the advertising
clauses in OpenSSL:

      * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of
this
      *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
      *    "This product includes software developed by the
OpenSSL Project
      *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit.
(http://www.openssl.org/)"

and

      * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of
this software
      *    must display the following acknowledgement:
      *    "This product includes cryptographic software written by
      *     Eric Young (eay at cryptsoft.com)"
      *    The word 'cryptographic' can be left out if the rouines
from the library
      *    being used are not cryptographic related :-).
      * 4. If you include any Windows specific code (or a
derivative thereof) from
      *    the apps directory (application code) you must include
an acknowledgement:
      *    "This product includes software written by Tim Hudson
(tjh at cryptsoft.com)"

Both of these sound fairly reasonable to meet.  Lots of other
software does (Python from Windows, Google Chrome, etc.)

Is there anything I'm missing here?

If not, we can talk about how to approach including it in the
release.

[1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/458
[2] http://curl.haxx.se/docs/copyright.html
[3] http://www.openssl.org/source/license.html