John Carmack applauds D's pure attribute

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Feb 27 00:39:53 PST 2012

I keep bringing this issues, because I am a firm believer that
when
people that fight against a GC are just fighting a lost battle.

Like back in the 80's people were fighting against Pascal or C
versus
Assembly. Or in the 90' were fighting against C++ versus C.

Now C++ is even used for operating systems, BeOS, Mac OS X
drivers,
COM/WinRT.

Sure a systems programming language needs some form of manual
memory
management for "exceptional situations", but 90% of the time you
will
be allocating either referenced counted or GCed memory.

What will you do when the major OS use a systems programming
language like forces GC or reference counting on you do? Which is
already slowly happening with GC and ARC on Mac OS X, WinRT on
Windows 8, mainstream OS, as well as the Oberon, Spin, Mirage,
Home, Inferno and Singularity research OSs.

Create your own language to allow you to live in the past?

People that refuse to adapt to times stay behind, those who
adapt, find ways to profit from the new reality.

But as I said before, that is my opinion and as a simple human is
also prone to errors. Maybe my ideas regarding memory management
in systems languages are plain wrong, the future will tell.

--
Paulo