Lexer and parser generators using CTFE

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 10:44:51 PST 2012

On 29.02.2012 20:31, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>> Recalling EBNF parser idea that I run with before finally being dragged
>> down by real life. Roughly I thought to follow hybrid LL(*) aproach,
>> while I had a solid plan on doing DFA for lexer and parser lookahead,
>> the other things were more or less floating.
>
> Well, maybe you could integrate that within your up-and-coming research.
> Grammars have been considered a solved problem every five years since
> 1970, and there's always new work coming :o).

It might involve parsing and grammars, unless academia folk seduce me
with their ideas of optimization for highly parallel architectures :).

>> There is prototype of interactive regex matcher that
>> works directly on stream (buried in std.regex), it even passed dry-run
>> unittests back then. Though I had to postpone till I/O is sorted out. I
>> really loved Steven's design with it's easy access to buffer and well
>> thought out primitives, hope it will come about sometime soon.
>
> An interactive regex would be a dream come true to me...

Where you've been? ;) I mean during GSOC we've spent days with Fawzi
talking about shoehorning regex matcher to work on buffered streams. He
actually did that prototype, I was mostly reviewing/fixing the source to
make sure it fits. Recalling the inner works it was even expected to
optionally do NFC normalization on the fly (wow, now that was ambitious)
and all that without copying stuff around 99% of the time.

--
Dmitry Olshansky