Lexer and parser generators using CTFE

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Feb 29 23:54:35 PST 2012

Am 29.02.2012, 02:30 Uhr, schrieb Piotr Szturmaj <bncrbme at jadamspam.pl>:

> CTFE code can be much slower than native one, and I would like to see
> some kind of compiler cache for such code.

I second this. As a fan of clean optimizations this is one of the things I tossed around my head for a while. It could use a cache file or the compiler could be started as a daemon process keeping a memory cache. All code that is called through CTFE would go into the cache, indexed by the internal representation of the function body and parameters.
But there are a few open questions, like how seamless this could be integrated. Is it easy to get a hash for function bodies and parameters? How should the cache be limited? N functions, n bytes or maybe one cache per module (together with the .o files)? The latter case would mean that if a.d uses CTFE, that executes code from b.d the results of CTFE would all be cached together with a.o, because that was the entry point. And if there was a module c.d that does the same as a.d it would duplicate the b.d part in its own cache. The benefit is that the cache works with both single module and whole program compilation and it doesn't need any limits. Instead the caches for each module are always refreshed with what was last used in the compilation.
In addition to the last compilation, the caches could be aware of versioned compilation. I usually want to compile debug versions and Linux/Windows release versions at least, so I wouldn't want to invalidate the caches. For 32-bit vs. 64-bit I assume it is the best to just cache them separately as it could prove difficult to distinguish two versions of code that uses (void*).sizeof or something else that isn't declared wrapped in a version statement like size_t is.