string is rarely useful as a function argument

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 07:13:29 PST 2012

On 01/01/2012 07:59 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 01/01/2012 05:53 AM, Chad J wrote:
>>
>> If you haven't been educated about unicode or how D handles it, you
>> might write this:
>>
>> char[] str;
>> ... load str ...
>> for ( int i = 0; i<  str.length; i++ )
>> {
>>      font.render(str[i]); // Ewww.
>> }
>>

> That actually looks like a bug that might happen in real world code.
> What is the signature of font.render?

In my mind it's defined something like this:

class Font
{

    /** Render the given code point at
        the current (x,y) cursor position. */
    void render( dchar c )
    {

(Of course I don't know minute details like where the "cursor position"
comes from, but I figure it doesn't matter.)

I probably wrote some code like that loop a very long time ago, but I
probably don't have that code around anymore, or at least not easily
findable.