Database developer's gentle view on D.

bls bizprac at orange.fr
Mon Jan 2 08:21:14 PST 2012

On 01/01/2012 10:49 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 January 2012 at 04:28:45 UTC, bls wrote:
>> WEB Development is for sure doable in D, reusable Frameworks are
>> nevertheless AFAIK not available.
>
> What kind of features did you have in mind for this?

Hi Adam,
first of all: A happy and successful new year to you!
To answer your question  :
An SaaS application living in a Cloud-Space, preferred atm is Amazon EC.
The database Back-End will be (most probably PostGreSQL)
WHY PostGres ? Callback notifications/ Server-side events ... not
available in MySQL. (which you prefer in your framework)
Another point is DB replication, partial DB replication. #

The challenge for us is SaaS user management.
Due to the fact that we are supporting small companies(1-5 users) as
well as huge,international acting companies the Saas Software has to scale.
I.E. From : "I would give your Software a try. We need just the basic
package" ... to "We want it all (and more); We are looking for a long
term contract" .
In detail this means we have customers who wish to rent just PARTs OF
OUR SOFTWARE for a month, others would like to rent our Software for a
year, including all features.

SOAP/REST  is (in our case) needed to f.i. obtain prices. (https
tunneling seems to be good enough (tm) )The other need for SOAP/REST (I
am not sure if should go this way) is to access the SaaS application to
receive certain informations/to add an potential clients, reuests, what
the heck. ) In this case we have to establish a WSDL/REST - maybe oData
Service.  (I would  prefer REST)

---Still have a hangover from new years day, so that's it 4 the moment.

Indeed, I had your library in mind while talking about D for the WEB.
Bjoern