Multiple return values

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jan 3 19:46:03 PST 2012

On Tuesday, January 03, 2012 19:48:53 bearophile wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis:
> > I'm not saying anything about the value of the feature. I'm just saying
> > that given D's lineage, it's not at all suprising that it doesn't
> > support multiple return values. In fact, it would be very abnormal if
> > it did. The OP seems to expect that modern languages would support such
> > a feature, whereas many do not - particularly the C-based ones.
>
> OK.
> For fun here is a slightly modified version of your text:
>
> "I'm not saying anything about the value of the feature. I'm just saying
> that given D's lineage, it's not at all suprising that it doesn't support
> nested functions. In fact, it would be very abnormal if it did. The OP
> seems to expect that modern languages would support such a feature, whereas
> many do not - particularly the C-based ones."
> :-)

Well, yeah. Having nested functions in C-based languages is not normal, and I
don't believe that most other "modern" languages have them either, so it's
arguably unreasonable to _expect_ that D would have nested functions, because
it's a modern language. That doesn't mean that it _won't_ have nested
functions (or multiple return values), but _expecting_ that it will simply
because it's a modern programming language is arguably unreasonable.

- Jonathan M Davis