Multiple return values

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:31:56 PST 2012

bearophile wrote:
> deadalnix:
>
>> I do agree with Andrei. Those are 2 orthogonals problems. The
>> optimization problem is clearly something that can be improved
>> in D ABI. Then, returning a tuple could be improved using
>> thoses rules.
>
> I agree.
>

>> The multiple retur value problem is syntaxic sugar. It may be
>> interesting, but not #1 priority.
>
> I don't agree. In this moment of the D development it's still
> more important to design D well than to squeeze every bit of
> performance out of the reference implementation.
>
> Example: currently vector operations have some small syntax
> (and maybe semantic) problem, plus performance problems. I
> think fixing their syntax is currently more important.
>
> Fixing performance problems is possible to do later in GDC/LDC
> if the language design is good, but fixing the syntax later is
> quite harder to do.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

+1 to this. Performance is key to D's success of course, but what
will attract more developers is clean and bug free aesthetics.
DMD already outperforms MS/Mono C# in all of my modest
benchmarks. GDC and LDC much more so.

The first two things that really made me want to use D where
reading about it's built-in Arrays and Unittests. Multiple return
syntax could only make D feel more hip. A complaint I've heard
before is how C-like D tries to be with it's library naming (eg,
std.writeln vs Console.WriteLine), so I don't think tradition or
heritage are good ways to increase support. While D's naming
seems natural enough to me or anyone who's written C/C++ code,
from an outside perspective you might wounder why there was
module dealing with venereal disease.

I know you D developers, have a lot on your plates. Thank you all.