Some Issues With Synchronized

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Jan 4 16:12:04 PST 2012

On Jan 4, 2012, at 2:55 PM, Andrew Wiley wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
>>

>> This assumes that there is no existing monitor for the object.  At best you'll get a memory leak here.
>
> Then is there any way to safely use this sort of idiom? Putting it on
> the first line of the constructor was the earliest way I could see to
> try to swap the lock.

Not currently.  The relevant ctor for Mutex actually has an "assert(o.__monitor is null)" clause in it that simply never triggers because we ship a "release" build (I hate that label).  The problem is that replacing an existing monitor means a race condition, since other threads might be trying to lock it or are waiting on it at the time.  The real issue is that the ctor for a synchronized module shouldn't be synchronized, but I'll grant that it's easier to fix this in user/library code than sort out a compiler fix.  What you can do is:
---
extern (C) void _d_monitordelete(Object h, bool det);
synchronized class Queue1 {
private:
   bool _work;
   Condition _cond;
public:
   this() {
        _d_monitordelete(this, true);
        auto lock = new Mutex(this); // initialize the monitor for this object
       // so we can use the same lock in the Condition
       lock.lock(); // HACK: acquire the lock so we can unlock it
       // at the end of the function
       _cond = new Condition(lock);
       _work = false;
---
Obviously not ideal since it requires a lot of hackery, but it should work as desired.