Multiple return values

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 00:47:52 PST 2012

Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> C#, Java and similar language doesn't support free functions
> like D does. Then they have to resort to "hacks" like static
> methods, i.e. Console.WriteLine.

D's free functions and simple module design are definitely points
in it's favor. However that wasn't really my point. I was saying
that from an non-C/C++/D perspective, "Console.WriteLine()" makes
more immediate sense than "std.writeln()" albeit only marginally.
Both Java and C# use a less cryptic naming convention in their
standard libraries which I think helps when learning a language.
For instance, "std.container" makes me think of a cup, while
"System.Collections" makes me think of a bundle. It's probably
just me, but for awhile I thought D didn't have a standard linked
list structure because I kept looking in std.array for it.