System programming in D (Was: The God Language)

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 00:53:01 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, and virtual-by-default... completely unacceptable for a systems
> language. most functions are NOT virtual, and finding the false-virtuals
> while optimising will be extremely tedious and time consuming. Worse, if
> libraries contain false virtuals, there's good chance I may not be able to
> use said library on certain architectures (PPC, ARM in particular). Terrible
> decision... completely contrary to modern hardware design and trends. Why
> invent a 'new' language for 10 year old hardware?

The only benchmark of virtual functions on ARM that I can find is
http://mikeash.com/pyblog/performance-comparisons-of-common-operations-iphone-edition.html
, which found that the calls, when compared with other operations,
performed similarly to x86.
I'm not really sure what architecture-specific issues you're referring to here.