System programming in D (Was: The God Language)

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 01:16:05 PST 2012

On 5 January 2012 03:06, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 1/4/2012 4:30 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> If a library is written without consideration to what is virtual and what
>> is
>> not, its performance will be the least of your problems.
>>

> I agree. Such is a massive failure in designing a polymorphic type, and
> the language can't help with that.

I don't follow.. how is someone failing (or forgetting) to type 'final' a
"massive design failure"? It's not a design failure, it's not even
'wrong'... it's INEVITABLE.
And the language CAN help with that, by making expensive operations require
explicit declaration.

At least make a compiler flag so I can disable virtual-by-default for my
project...?