System programming in D (Was: The God Language)

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Thu Jan 5 07:34:54 PST 2012

On 01/05/2012 10:02 AM, Manu wrote:
> Also, D is NOT a good compiler, it's a rubbish compiler with respect to
> code generation.
> [snip.]

D is not a compiler, it is a language. Furthermore it is not true that
DMDs backend is rubbish and there are already more backends than just
the DMC backend.

DMD: DMC backend, _fast code gen_ and very pleasant to use for debug builds.

GDC: GCC backend, optimizes as well as GCC. This is what I use for
release. Takes about three times longer for a debug build than DMD. A
lot less usable for edit-compile-test cycle than DMD.

LDC: LLVM backend, implements some additional optimizations in the front
end. I don't have LDC installed, but iirc it is also a lot slower than DMD.

I think it would be nice if you stopped spreading FUD. You seem to have
reasonable requests.