SIMD support...

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Jan 6 04:54:38 PST 2012

Walter:

> One caveat is it is typeless; a __v128 could be used as 4 packed ints or 2
> packed doubles. One problem with making it typed is it'll add 10 more types to
> the base compiler, instead of one. Maybe we should just bite the bullet and do
> the types:

What are the disadvantages of making it typeless?
If it is typeless how do you tell it to perform a 4 float sum instead of a 2 double sum?
Is this low level layer able to support AVX and AVX2 3-way comparison instructions too, and the fused multiplication-add instruction?

For Manu: LDC compiler has this too:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/ldc/wiki/InlineAsmExpressions

Bye,
bearophile