SIMD support...

Froglegs lugtug at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 09:00:59 PST 2012

  That Cuda is used more is probably true, OpenCL is fugly C and
no fun.

Microsoft's upcoming C++ AMP looks interesting as it lets you
write GPU and CPU code in C++.  The spec is open so hopefully it
becomes common to implement it in other C++ compilers.

SSE intrinsics in C++ are pretty essential for getting great
performance, so I do think D needs something like this.  A
problem with intrinsics in C++ has been poor support from
compilers, often performing little or no optimization and just
blindly issuing instructions as you listed them, causing all
kinds of extra loads and stores.

  Visual Studio is actually one of the worst C++ compilers for
intrinsics, ICC is likely the best.

So even if D does add these new intrinsic functions it would need
to actual optimize around them to produce reasonably fast code.

  I agree that the v128 type should be typeless, it is typeless on
hardware, and this makes it easier to mix and match instructions.