SIMD support...

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 6 11:11:11 PST 2012

On 1/6/2012 3:32 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Friday, 6 January 2012 at 03:17:55 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Something about the way you are posting is breaking the threading of these message threads.
>
> This is because the mailing list gateway assigns new Message IDs to posts forwarded from the mailing list to the
> newsgroup. Mailing list users don't see these IDs, so a post from a mailing list user replying to a post by another
> mailing list user will never appear as a "reply" to newsgroup users.
>
> I have an idea of how to counter this in DFeed (subscribing DFeed to mailing lists, in addition to polling the newsgroup
> server, and saving both Message IDs for each post), but it'll still be broken for everything else tied to the newsgroup
> server.

It's not nearly that generally broken.  As evidence.. this reply.. or any of my replies over the last mumble (5?) years.
 Or any of the replies from the hundreds of other people that use the lists rather than the newsgroups.

The last time anyone researched it, there was a known bug in mailman (the gateway software in use) that triggered with
messages that are crossposted to multiple newsgroups.  I'd welcome anyone to dig deeper into the mailman code and send
bug report and/or fixes.  I'll happily install any updates that come down the pike.

Later,
Brad