DMD - Windows

Trass3r un at known.com
Fri Jan 6 11:18:15 PST 2012

> The problem: On windows, DMD uses the Optlink linker. Optlink only
> supports OMF right now (OMF used to be commonly used by Borland, IIRC).
> Optlink was written entirely in asm so changing it is difficult. But
> Walter has been,
> piece-by-piece, porting it to C (and then he'll port it to D).

I say get rid of that freakin' dinosaur. Pull requests are already piling
up, we can't afford losing more time.

> (This is issue also happens to be the main thing blocking 64-bit on
> Windows.)

Not quite true. You need 64Bit: object format, linker, librarian, debug
info, compiler.

> - Recompile the libs using DMC (the Digital Mars C/C++ compiler). That
> will result in an OMF lib file that can be used with DMD.

Did you ever try that?? You can't even mention that, let alone recommend
it.

> - Use the Digital Mars COFF2OMF tool to convert to lib to OMF.
> Unfortunately, the tool isn't free, but IIRC it's inexpensive.

Doesn't matter. You already have to pay enough by having to deal with that
OMF crap.

> If you feel this is all still a big pain in the ass: Don't worry,
> everyone here agrees with you, and the situation will not remain like
> this forever.

I'm sceptical.