SIMD support...

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jan 6 11:34:34 PST 2012

On 1/6/2012 11:08 AM, Manu wrote:
> I think we should take this conversation to IRC, or a separate thread?
> I'll generate some examples from VC for you in various situations. If you can
> write me a short list of trouble cases as you see them, I'll make sure to
> address them specifically...
> Have you tested the code that GCC produces? I'm sure it'll be identical to VC...

What I'm going to do is make the SIMD stuff work on 64 bits for now. The
alignment problem is solved for it, and is an orthogonal issue.

> That said, how do you currently support ANY aligned type? I thought align(n) was
> a defined keyword in D?

Yes, but the alignment is only as good as the alignment underlying it. For
example, anything in segments can be aligned to 16 bytes or less, because the
segments are aligned to 16 bytes. Anything allocated with new can be aligned to
16 bytes or less.

The stack, however, is aligned to 4, so trying to align things on the stack by 8
or 16 will not work.