DMD - Windows

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jan 6 12:27:30 PST 2012

"Manu" <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.126.1325877634.16222.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> Lame. Surely Optlink is not the only linker in the world...?
> I'm also surprised that someone capable of writing a compiler and
> optimiser
> for a complex language isn't capable of writing a linker. The link must
> surely be the simplest+easiest of those 3 jobs...?

He (ie, Walter) *did* write Optlink, that's why DMD/Win uses it :/

(And OMF wasn't such a problem back when Optlink was written. AIUI, not
being an expert in the matter myself, the decline of Borland seems to be one
of the main reasons for OMF's demise.)

>Why not use this instead of Optlink if it works?
>I'll check it out... though VisualD doesn't support this.
> VisualD doesn't support those compilers (yet).

Yea, GDC and LDC were lagging pretty far behind until only fairly recently,
and we didn't discover unilink until not real long ago either, so D many
projects have been slow in supporting them. But yea, as a community we
probably do need to make sure to start supporting them better.

>> If you feel this is all still a big pain in the ass: Don't worry,
>> everyone
>> here agrees with you, and the situation will not remain like this
>> forever.
>
> Indeed. The main reason for my post is just to complain, and add my voice
> ;)
> I'd like to insist that this is basically unacceptable... it should be
> prioritised.

vote++