SIMD support...

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Jan 6 13:23:51 PST 2012

On 1/6/12 1:11 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/6/2012 10:25 AM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> How is making __v128 a builtin type better than defining it as:
>>
>> align(16) struct __v128
>> {
>> ubyte[16] data;
>> }
>
> Then the back end knows it should be mapped onto the XMM registers
> rather than the usual arithmetic set.

If it's possible, then it would be great to express the new constructs
within the existing language (optionally by leaving it to the
implementation to strengthen guarantees of certain constructs).

I very warmly recommend avoiding defining things in the language and
compiler wherever the same is possible within a library (however
non-portable). Confining features to the language/compiler drastically
reduces the number of people that can work on them.

Andrei