DMD - Windows

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:36:20 PST 2012

On 6 January 2012 22:45, F i L <witte2008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Manu wrote:
>
>> > - Use LDC or GDC instead of DMD. I think those work with COFF.
>> >

>> VisualD doesn't support those compilers (yet).
>>

> I'm not sure if Mono-D supports GDC/LDC but, as a Visual Studios user
> myself, I recommend using Mono-D for D development on any platform (at this
> time at least) because of it's Code-completion and Renaming features. I've
> even converted the Obsidian syntax theme over if you're interested.
> Although Mono's syntax highlighting is inferior to VS in many ways (no
> operator or user types distinction) at least in v2.8.5.
> http://mono-d.sourceforge.net/

Nice, is the author of this someone in this community? I wonder if they
could contribute some of that effort towards VisualD... for some reason
VisualD lacks heaps of these features.

Monodevelop is surprisingly usable... although sadly, for me, my build
system uses premake to generate VisualStudio projects (and makefiles/etc on
other platforms).
I hope VisualD is given a lot more love and made awesome. But this might be
a nice option in the mean time... with manual project configuration.

I think VisualD is extremely important. It's fundamental to mainstream
adoption of D. Most windows programmers will simply not consider the
language until it is well supported in Visual Studio (and that's a LOT of
programmers, including basically the entire game dev community... [all
console SDK's are Windows+VisualStudio based])

I certainly wouldn't be using D now if VisualD didn't exist...