RFC: std.uuid

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Jan 6 16:19:52 PST 2012

On Friday, 6 January 2012 at 21:10:50 UTC, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Monday, 26 December 2011 at 17:37:17 UTC, Piotr Szturmaj
>> wrote:
>>> Yes. Here are the results: http://pastebin.com/rD8kiaQy. This
>>> is
>>> observed only with Windows DMD.
>>
>> I'd be more interested in seeing the code.
>
> Sorry for late answer. For memcpy cases code is the same as in
> my github Phobos fork. Here is the change to slice copying:
> http://pastebin.com/EteqEper

I haven't looked at the disassembly yet, but I'd suggest to
rewrite your code so that the left side of the assignment is a
slice expression beginning with 0. I think DMD will generate
optimal code (memcpy with slightly less overhead than a manual
call) if you make it clear to the compiler that the left-hand
slice and the right-hand slice have the same length.

Also, it looks like the slice version wastes an extra variable
(bw).