DMD - Windows

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jan 6 22:40:36 PST 2012

"Manu" <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.144.1325892989.16222.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> Most windows programmers will simply not consider the
> language until it is well supported in Visual Studio

Yea, and that's very unfortunate. I used to be a huge fan of visual studio
for years (from around MSVC 5 through the first or second VS.NET), but now
that I've tasted the alternatives, I find the build/project management to be
a little too "magical" and proprietary (or at least too incompatible and
inbred), and the UI to be too bloated. I think a lot of the people who are
unwilling to try anything but a heavyweight IDE are being unfair to
themselves and their projects by keeping themselves blinded. (Obviously, if
they've done both ways and still prefer big IDE's, that's different.)

And the thing is too, with popular overrated langauges like C++ or Java, you
*need* a fancy IDE to get anywhere and still maintain sanity. But what many
of those people don't get, is that with better languages, you *don't*
actually *need* all that other stuff. Sure, it can still be a nice bonus,
but it's *not* a necessity like with the popular "puzzle" languages they're
used to. It's like canned vegetables: You've gotta drench that shit in salt,
sauces, spices, and all sorts of stuff just to make it go down. But with
food that's quality in the first place, it doesn't matter: You can either
dress it up or leave it as-is; either way it still works
fine...no...*better* than starting with an inferior base.