[OT] Previously: DMD - Windows -> C# in gamedev

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 07:44:18 PST 2012

On 7 January 2012 17:27, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> I am convinced that eventually AAA game engines can be
> made in a GC enabled language like D, they just need to
> be coded in a different way, more GC-friendly.

I tend to disagree. I see it trending in the opposite direction.
Tight pooling of resources and updating in finer grained (probably
threaded) tight loops across neatly (cache friendly) packed bundles of like
objects. That's where engines are going.
Engines are becoming more and more memory-layout aware, not less... GC is
the opposite of rigid memory layout.
It's great for high level sugar that glues the whole thing together, but
the engine is heading the opposite way; everything works more like a video
card, small repetitive streamed jobs, with memory carefully managed.