Welcome to the Jungle (article about the future of parallel computing)

bcs bcs at example.com
Sat Jan 7 10:47:13 PST 2012

On 01/06/2012 11:08 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Paulo Pinto"<pjmlp at progtools.org>  wrote in message
> news:je7vvh$253f$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> >  Hi,
>> >
>> >  I just saw a follow up article from Herb Sutter about
>> >  the future of parallel computing.
>> >
>> >  http://herbsutter.com/welcome-to-the-jungle/
>> >
>> >  Very interesting read. Excuse me if someone has already
>> >  posted it.
>> >
> It is interesting...But I have to say: The*one*  thing that really bugs me
> about it is that it seems to be written under the assumption that the
> highest-end hardware that's*sitting around on store shelves*  is the only
> hardware that's relevant, or even exists.

I think the thought is that *in the long run* the only chips that will
hang around fall into one of two sets: The most powerful chips available
and the most power efficient chips available. When you are buying new,
why would you get anything else? In the short term there will be older
stuff around but firstly, "nobody" buys used and secondly it's going to
get replaced at some point (if for no other reason but getting damaged
by handling).

As a second rebuttal, I think the article is directed squarely at the
"My program needs to run faster (lets throw hardware at it)!" crowd.