[OT] Previously: DMD - Windows -> C# in gamedev

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 15:17:39 PST 2012

On 7 January 2012 21:00, Froglegs <lugtug at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Well games often already integrate scripting languages, generally Lua or
> Mono, which are both GC based. But this is for the game logic, not for the
> high performance parts of the code.

Indeed. And this is usually just to mitigate the fact that C++ is so crap
at this sort of code. Maybe D will be tolerable, and this breaking out to
script won't be necessary? (though I'm dubious)

 For a GC to be used at the C++/D layer it would need to be

> 1) optional always, D makes it optional but you loose a solid chunk of the
> language if you ditch GC, what remains is in some ways inferior to C++(no
> escaping lambda without GC, /cry)
> 2) no long pauses ever
>
>  I think most game engine stuff will continue to be written without GC, as
> it doesn't really add much if what you are after is raw performance. And
> C++ does have smart pointers which perform much of what a GC does, but
> without the long pauses or non deterministic destruction.

I must generally agree, I expect the GC would offer me basically nothing
but nuisance in engine level code. I'm generally shovelling large, strictly
controlled buffers which need proper placement/alignment, pool allocation,
or allocation from temporal ring buffers and that sort of thing.
I don't typically find C/C++ intolerable, or even particularly unpleasant
for engine level code as it is, it's the higher level code I'm keen to
escape.