DMD - Windows

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jan 7 16:05:31 PST 2012

"Manu" <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.174.1325975010.16222.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> Just for the record, my post was intentionally excessively inflammatory. I
> do like a good IDE vs non-IDE debate! :P

Heh, fair enough. Hell, it's not as if I'm not known for being overly
inflammatory...

> On 7 January 2012 22:22, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> So...you agree that it's widespread...and you hate it...Ok, I give up:
>> Exactly how is that *not* "overrated"?
>>

> ...and I think most people agree. So no, I don't think it's overrated, I
> think it's quite fairly rated :P

I see :) Guess I just chose the wrong word then ;)

> Yup, and I believe that's completely true :)
> I expect a huge surge of developers will appear the moment a quality VS
> integration exists.

Oh yea.

> I'm sure you've got more experience than me in this area.. All I've ever
> made with C# were some nice tools/GUI apps.
> The experience was always elegant and enjoyable. My only complaint is that
> I created them so much faster than I expected... then I was finished, and
> had to get back on to C/C++ work again :(

Yea, it *is* nicer than C/C++ as long as you don't need to go too low-level
or too high-level. That's why I had gotten into it in the first place. Sort
of a middle-ground between C/C++ and Java.

> Honest to god, I'm *more* productive with D and Programmer's Notepad 2
> than
>> I ever was with C#/VS.NET. And much happier too (at least when I'm
>> actually
>> coding, anyway ;)) But I never would have discovered that if I had been
>> an
>> IDE-snob. Obviously you're not one, as you pointed out you've at least
>> tried
>> things the other way, too. But from what you describe, it appears that a
>> lot
>> of people in the industry *are* staunch IDE-snobs.
>>

> Well you're obviously weird ;)

Heh, I'm a weirdo in sooo many ways it's rediculous...

> Oh I'm definitely an IDE snob. I use all the other tools for cross
> platform
> dev, automation, homebrew hobby work, etc, but I can't stand editing code
> without a nice editor, the ability to hit ctrl-F7, and even debug,
> instantly and seamlessly.
> I go miles out of my way to integrate whatever toolchain I'm working with
> into VS as best I can. The difference between me and most others like me
> is, I go out of my way, whereas most other people, if said integration
> doesn't already exist, will just give up and move with something else.

See, I used to do that [1]. But I guess instead of giving up and moving back
to more established mainstream languages, I gave up and moved on to other
editors and build methods.

[1] Actually, when I was doing GBA homebrew I even made a GBA AppWizard for
MSVC 6: http://www.semitwist.com/gbadev/  I tried to make a VS.NET version
(back with the original VS.NET), but I found the whole process to be
confusing as hell, and the docs didn't seem to be much help.

> I will definitely admit though, VS2010 was a major step backwards..
> Everything suddenly got all slow and buggy.
> Infact, I do feel it's been going backwards since VS6... Although I think
> 2005 was a good year :)

Heh. Different experiences. I first noticed VS starting to get slow with
2003, but it wasn't enough to really turn me off yet, just annoy me
(although the price tag every few years was getting to be a problem,
especially since I wasn't much of a student anymore...Of course, this was
before the Express editions). Then with 2005 I pretty much just gave up on
VS for various reasons - speed, cost, lack of even basic D support,
difficulty in extending it to do what I wanted, and just being a little bit
too..."proprietary" and "inbred" are the only words I can think of for it,
but "inbred" is more inflammatory than what I really mean and "proprietary"
isn't exactly correct either...