Discussion about D at a C++ forum

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jan 7 22:57:17 PST 2012

On Saturday, January 07, 2012 22:19:53 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Here's an interesting discussion that may reflect the perceptions and
> misperceptions about D within the larger community.
>
> http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/58832/

Not exactly the most informed discussion. But I would expect that some of the
misinformation is fairly typical. I'd say that a lot of what people think or
know about D is from a couple of years ago (if not farther back) and/or
derived from the opinions of others rather than real experience. And an
initial bad experience (as has happened far too often, as we've seen with
newbies reactions to stuff not working just around here, let alone in the D
community as a whole) can definitely lead to negative and/or misinformed
beliefs, which then spread to others outside the D comunity when D is brought
up.

I'm not sure what we can do about that other than really improving what we
have to offer, and while we still have plenty to do, we've definitely been
making solid improvements.

- Jonathan M Davis