DMD - Windows

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 06:50:41 PST 2012

On 8/01/12 2:14 PM, Trass3r wrote:
> Also the dmd code needs improvement. It should leverage C++11 features,
> become more modular and code quality needs to be improved. For example
> the typed Array was long overdue, yet people still use that crappy
> tdata() syntax instead of just []. The C++11 range based for loop would
> be a logical next step for that. Other things that come to my mind are
> replacing hard-coded values with proper constants, introducing smart
> pointers so at least some memory is released and better (documentation)
> comments.

It's still far too early to start using C++11 stuff because not all
compilers support it. OSX still ships with g++ 4.2. Expecting people to
install a new compiler just to compile the DMD code is a pointless
barrier. Especially if the only reason for using C++11 is relatively
minor syntactic changes.

Smart pointers (especially shared_ptr) are not free. They will make DMD
slower, compile more slowly, and bloat the syntax (T* vs.
std::shared_ptr<T>). It is also a very large change to change most
pointers to smart pointers. Any mistakes made in the transition will
cause bugs.

All this stuff you have proposed requires time. Time is precious. What
do you propose should be delayed so that this work could be carried out?