DMD - Windows

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jan 8 11:59:29 PST 2012

On 1/8/2012 6:14 AM, Trass3r wrote:
> e.g. https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/375 fixes severe bugs
> with postblits/destructors and has been open for 4 months already without any
> comment from your side.

Don knows what he's doing, and it's waiting for fixes to his observations.
Meanwhile, there are a ton of other pull requests that are ready to go that I've
been pulling in steadily.

> We have to live with the fact that bugs are fixed
> somewhat randomly (i.e. the bugzilla voting system is completely ignored), but
> it isn't acceptable that we have to deal with bugs that have been fixed months
> ago but just not merged yet.

See my comment above.

> Bug 314 is a prime example for all of that (most
> voted bug for years, fixed in ldc long ago, pull request was open for ages).

That one has been pulled and merged.

> Also the dmd code needs improvement. It should leverage C++11 features, become
> more modular and code quality needs to be improved. For example the typed Array
> was long overdue, yet people still use that crappy tdata() syntax instead of
> just []. The C++11 range based for loop would be a logical next step for that.
> Other things that come to my mind are replacing hard-coded values with proper
> constants, introducing smart pointers so at least some memory is released and
> better (documentation) comments.

I'd like to use C++11 features in the dmd source, too. The downside is that all
the C++ compilers on all the current and potential targets for D need to
reliably support those C++11 features. Currently, this is not close to true, and
likely won't be for some time.

The minor benefit of those features is not worth arbitrarily shutting the door
on some targets.