DMD - Windows

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jan 8 16:32:50 PST 2012

On 1/8/2012 3:12 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 January 2012 at 22:52:17 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Once Phobos works as a shared lib, I think we should switch to that as the
>> default.
>
> Please, no. That would mean standalone executables won't work
> by default.

People who distribute apps will be more sophisticated users, and will be able to
set a flag to static link.

I guarantee you that shared should be the default, as otherwise newbies will
compile with D and:

    "Zo-mah-gawd, look at the size of those D executables! D sux!"

Which happens now. Note that the default with gcc is to link with the shared C
runtime, and it will be expected for dmd.