Discussion about D at a C++ forum

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 8 17:08:00 PST 2012

On 1/8/2012 4:26 PM, dsimcha wrote:
> On 1/8/2012 6:28 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
>> 2. "While you can avoid the garbage collector, that basically means you
>> can't use most of the standard library."
>> Looks pretty darn correct to me -- from the fixed-size array literal
>> issue (literals are on the GC heap), to all the string operations (very
>> little is usable), to associative arrays (heck, they're even part of the
>> language, but you can't use them without a GC), etc...
>
> As someone who does performance-critical scientific work in D, this
> comment is absolutely **wrong** because you only need to avoid the GC
> in the most performance-critical/realtime parts of your code

Who said anything about performance?
And who's the "you" in this statement? What platform are you on?

I guess if you make the assumption that everyone is doing user-mode
programming for Windows/Mac/Linux/BSD, then yes, you're 100% correct.

The trouble is, making GUIs and taking FFTs in user-mode isn't what
people mean by "systems programming"...