DMD - Windows

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 19:59:09 PST 2012

On Monday, 9 January 2012 at 00:32:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>   "Zo-mah-gawd, look at the size of those D executables! D sux!"
>
> Which happens now.

My problem with this is a shared lib actually *increases*
the size. At best, it fools you by separating it out into
two or three files instead of one.

A better solution to the executable size problem is to
actually make them smaller, like Andrei was doing a couple
weeks ago. He made a huge difference just by changing a
handful of lines to reduce unnecessary coupling in Phobos.

> Note that the default with gcc is to link with the shared C
> runtime, and it will be expected for dmd.

The big difference there is people usually already have the
C runtime and use it for many programs. They don't actually
have to think about installing it.

Imagine how many people, especially on Linux, will now
start asking "I built a D program, but when I run it, it
complains that it can't find libphobos2.so", or the already
somewhat common version mismatches that happen when you update
one but not the other.

Would you rather have someone complaining about a 200 kb
executable, on an executable that doesn't work right without
end user action?