Discussion about D at a C++ forum

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jan 9 10:59:00 PST 2012

On Monday, January 09, 2012 10:15:37 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/9/2012 7:31 AM, Marco Leise wrote:
> > "note that D removes probably the most important feature of C++ that
> > makes C++ so powerful: templates and replaces it with something even
> > weaker than Java generics"
> >
> > I had to read that sentence over again. Did he say "D"? Oh well...
> > talking about misperceptions.
>
> Also, he talks about D debuting in 1999. At the end of 1999, I decided to
> start working on it. A working compiler didn't appear until 2003 or so,
> though that was very primitive compared with what we have now.

I suspect that part of the problem is that Wikipedia lists D as appearing in
1999. And, of course, since D2 didn't start until 2007, saying that D has been
around since 1999 easily gives the mistaken impression that we're doing a bad
job, since D _still_ isn't complete and fully stable.

- Jonathan M Davis