Discussion about D at a C++ forum

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jan 9 18:09:35 PST 2012

On Tuesday, January 10, 2012 01:55:23 Manfred Nowak wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Really?
>
> "A job is a regular activity performed in exchange for payment."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job, cited 01/10/2012
> Your citation defines the religious figure.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/job[1]

For some reason, my browser didn't update the URL when clicking on the noun
non-pronoun version of the word. There is _zero_ mention of compensation in
the dictionary definition. Yes, one's employment is typically referred to as
one's job (which is likely why Wikipedia says what it does), but it doesn't
_have_ to refer to one's employment. Wikipedia is giving an overly narrow
definition.

> > And since there is a group of us working on D, there is most
> > definitely a we.
>
> What is a "group", what is "working" and if there is a "we", who
> belongs to the "others"?
>
> > I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here though.
>
> Limit yourself only by scales, which you yourself have chosen.

I still don't see why any of this is relevant to the discussion at hand. We're
talking about the state of D and how it's perceived by those outside of the D
community. It looks to me like you're just trying to be a troll.

- Jonathan M Davis