Vector performance

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 06:14:32 PST 2012

Just thought I might share a real-life case study today. Been a lot of talk
of SIMD stuff, some people might be interested.

Working on an android product today, I noticed the matrix library was
burning a ridiculous amount of our frame time.
The disassembly looked like pretty normal ARM float code, so rewriting a
couple of the key routines to use the VFPU (carefully), our key device
moved from 19fps -> 34fps (limited at 30, we can now ship).
GalaxyS 2 is now running at 170fps, and devices we previously considered
un-viable can now actually get a release! .. Most devices saw around 25-45%
speed improvement.

Imagine if all vector code throughout was using the vector hardware nicely,
and not just one or 2 key functions...
Getting the API right (intuitively encouraging proper usage and disallowing
inefficient operations), it'll make a big difference!