Ref local variables?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 05:27:38 PST 2012

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:06:21 -0500, Ben Davis <entheh at cantab.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please excuse the cross-post with D.learn. People have been helpful
> there with workarounds, but I'm bringing it here in the hope that we can
> discuss a language enhancement.
>
> So - could support for 'ref' local variables be added, or is there a
> reason not to?

This has been requested in the past.  In order to convince Walter, it is
helpful to examine past failed arguments.  Try a search on the newsgroups
archive.

You also have to show why it's better to do it via the language than via
the library.  I think Simen's solution in the D.learn thread is pretty
compelling.

-Steve