Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 11 23:30:02 PST 2012

On 1/11/2012 11:16 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-01-11 21:34, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 1/11/2012 12:29 PM, Zachary Lund wrote:
>>> D1 or D2 both don't have a very accurate definition. C and C++ has
>>> several
>>> hundred pages of specifications and while I'm hopefully not expecting
>>> that, I do
>>> want some certainty on what is *supposed* to happen.
>>>
>>> There is also no versioning. D2 is definitely different from D1 in the
>>> case that
>>> it's not backwards compatible, but version for the actual example
>>> implementation
>>> isn't enough, especially when that implementation doesn't always do
>>> what it's
>>> supposed to do.
>>
>> Please file bug reports for any errors/omissions in the specification on
>> bugzilla.
>
> That's the whole point. It's not clear what the actual specification IS. Is it DMD, dlang.org or TDPL?

The website is the spec.  DMD is the reference instantiation of that spec.  TDPL is a re-framing of it.

Now, given that none of the three are perfect, discrepancies exist which obviously lead to questions.  That's where
bugzilla comes in to record and track the queue of issues to resolve among them.  Where there's issues, until it's been
examined, any of the parties could be at fault.

My 2 cents,
Brad