[OT] Anyone w/ svn->git experience and advice?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jan 13 13:18:30 PST 2012

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:jep72q$2dvs$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I see no reason to rewrite the history. Just clone the svn repository, add
> the missing directories, add a .gitignore file to each of the directories
> so git will keep them and then make a new commit.

Yea, like Michel said, that leaves the old revisions broken.

> Yeah, it's just a good page describing how to use git for a svn
> repository.

It is, thanks.

>> Does it still work if you give it --preserve-empty-dirs? (and yea, it
>> seems
>> to work for me too as long as I omit that switch and allow it to throw
>> away
>> my dirs at its discretion...)
>
> It seems I don't have that option.

I'm told it was added in Git v1.7.7. I had to compile a fresh git from
source (although that might just be because I spent the last two years
*completely* misunderstanding "apt-get upgrade"...and I think I have
legitimate excuses for misunderstanding it, but that's a whole other
topic...I plan to write a mini article-rant on it...)