[OT] Anyone w/ svn->git experience and advice?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jan 13 13:36:24 PST 2012

"Dejan Lekic" <dejan.lekic at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:nlcegzzpmmfrgaljgzkh at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
> Nick, I had similar issues, and I solved them by following a recipe from
> this article (written by a GitHub developer):
> http://www.jonmaddox.com/2008/03/05/cleanly-migrate-your-subversion-repository-to-a-git-repository/
>
> I still believe Subversion is a very good VCS.

Yes. You know, I've been wanting to do a little write-up of "Why I'm
completely sold on DVCSes, but I was happier before them" :) And I still get
annoyed when Torvalds rants and whines about SVN (has Linus *never* had to
use Visual SourceSafe?) I also like that SVN seems to genuinely care about
binary data/asset files (hugely important for things like games).

Admittedly, there was one big problem I did have with subversion: Every time
I needed to move or rename a directory tree, subversion completely choked on
it, and it was a PITA to fix the working copy. It's *extremely* brittle with
that kind of change, you have to do it *exactly* right. Eventually I got
into the habit of breaking the whole operation into carefully-chosen
multiple committs, which seemed to help, but always felt "dirty", and I
always dreaded doing it.