start on SIMD documentation

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:15:43 PST 2012

On 13/01/12 10:55 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/13/2012 11:06 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
>> Also, slight bikeshedding issue: I'm not so sure on using names like
>> int4 for
>> vectors. You see things like int32 a lot to mean a 32-bit integer, or
>> int8 to
>> mean an 8-bit integer. Using this notation for vectors may be confusing.
>
> Consider also that the int8 is an alias, not a keyword. This means that
> the compiler will inform you of any ambiguities, as well as allow:
>
> core.simd.int8
>
> to disambiguate.

I realize that. It's just that I mentally associate the identifier int8
with an 8-bit integer as it is something I regularly see in C++ code.

However, I'm willing to drop my position. After a quick Google, I
discovered that it's not as common as I thought. I'm happy to keep
float4 etc. since it is simple and is already used in a couple of shader
languages.