Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jan 14 17:06:23 PST 2012

On Saturday, January 14, 2012 14:58:19 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> IMHO, fixing const postblit (and the last mile of const) an immediate
> issue, followed by shared and threads. In light of that, working on simd
> now appears even more like a waste of time.

I completely agree that const and shared issues are more important than SIMD,
given that they affect far more people and have to do with some of the most
frustrating bugs. So, I'm not sure that this work on SIMD is particularly
well-timed. But I very much doubt that it's a waste of time. It could really
help make D acceptable to some of the folks who would otherwise insist on
using C or C++ for efficiency. And it's definitely addressing the complaints of
some of D's users. Still, I'd very much like to see the remaining core
language issues resolved sooner rather than implement enhancements like this
right now.

- Jonathan M Davis