Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Jan 14 21:00:17 PST 2012

On 2012-01-15 03:06:22 +0000, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> said:

> It seems that the problem is that while Walter can be saved effort by
> having someone else do that kind of work, it doesn't necessarily save
> him all that much effort, since he still must ultimately take the time
> to fully understand what's being changed and what the implications are
> before he merges it in.

It still saves the effort of coming up with a solution, implementing
that solution, updating the test suite, etc. I think this is
significant. But you're right, it's more effort to review than most
other pull requests, and it might not be something he likes to do.

> And the ramifications of pull request #3 are larger than most, so it
> makes sense if it takes longer for it to be sorted out. Still, given
> the importance of pull request #3, I would have thought that it would
> have been handled much sooner than this. It's getting very close to
> being a year old.

A year old and outdated: it won't merge cleanly anymore (despite the
update I made this summer). I should probably keep maintaining it, but
as it is now I don't think I'll bother until Walter is ready to look at
it.

But I'm a little surprised he hasn't even looked at it yet given this
is a problem he tried to fix himself before. In his place, I'd be very
curious to understand how it works.

And also, #3 is pretty small compared to something else I could come
with one day (D/Objective-C).

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com