Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 15 01:33:58 PST 2012

On Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:05:34 Martin Nowak wrote:
> This is a huge selling point.
>      float4 v1,v2,v3;
>      v1 = v2;
>      v1 = v2 + v3;
>      v1 = v2 - v3;
>      v1 = v2 * v3;
>      v1 = v2 / v3;

I think that the main point is that it is _not_ a big selling point for the
majority of users, whereas things that the language has already promised to do
are not currently working properly. So, for the vast majority of users, what's
currently being worked on does not match what the highest priorities are.

It would be one thing to add SIMD support if there weren't major issues which
are causing problems for the majority of users. It's quite another when there
_are_ such issues.

> Considering the recent switch to XMM it was just opportune to do
> this now rather than later. Context switches are expensive.

That may be true. And maybe SIMD will be taken care of more efficiently this
way, but it doesn't match what's supposed to be the main priorities right now.

- Jonathan M Davis